30th Annual Candlelight Tour of Homes
JEFFERSON- The Candlelight Tour of Homes is a 30 year tradition in Jefferson. The homes, all built in the 1800’s, on tour this year are the Terry-McKinnon House, Rowell-Harris House and the Oak Alley House. These majestic homes are decorated for the with live, fresh greenery, with candlelit luminaries lining the walk ways and the Jefferson Riverport Ambassadors help with the guided tours in their Victorian clothing.
For the past 29 years the gracious residents of Jefferson Texas have sacrificed their time by agreeing to let their homes be included in the Historic Jefferson Foundations Annual Candlelight Tour of Homes. Some have even agreed to include their home more than once. You have seen some of the finest Victorian, Antebellum, Colonial, and even some newer homes grace the tours of past. This year is no exception, the homes to be on tour are gems in their own right and we believe that you will enjoy touring these wonderfully preserved homes.
Terry- McKinnon House- The Terry-McKinnon House is a wonderful example of a Gothic Revival Victorian home. It was built in the 1870’s, by Cotton Factor S.D. Rainey. The home is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. It was purchased in 1886 by the Terry family and remained in their family for over a century. This lovely home features 14 foot ceilings, pine plank flooring and original light fixtures from the 1800s which have been converted from gas to electric. Original to the home is a lovely walnut bannister leading up the magnificent staircase. The home is currently owned by Kay and Ted McKinnon and is located at 109 W. Henderson Street.
Oak Alley- Oak Alley was built in or about 1850 by Daniel N. Alley, co-founder of Jefferson. The home is classic Greek Revival with the original 6 inch heart of pine flooring, 13 ft. board and batten strip ceilings and cypress exterior siding. The framing timbers were cut, notched and pegged by hand. The name of the home, Oak Alley, was selected because of the majestic oak tree on the southeast corner of the property and the name of the original owner. Unfortunately, 7 years ago the majestic oak fell on the house and the tree was removed. The rings revealed the tree to be approximately 200 years old. Another stately oak stands on the southwest corner of the property. The home located at 809 S. Line Street is currently owned by The Horn Family Trust established by Martha Horn and the late Dick Horn.
Rowell-Harris House- Judge and Mrs. T.D. Rowell purchased the home around 1898 from the descendants of Perry McClure Graham. Judge Rowell and his wife resided in the home until their deaths in 1946 and 1962 respectively. The home was deeded to their youngest daughter and her husband Odis (Brutus) Harris. The Harris’ raised their 2 sons and 3 daughters in this home. The house was originally a one story dwelling with an upstairs attic. Around 1915 the home was damaged by fire and when it was remodeled the upstairs bedrooms and bath were added to accommodate their large family. The current owners are Pat Johnson and David Ring who purchased the home in December 2004. With the help of family, they spent the next 7 years transforming the house into the lovely home that it is today. It is located at 303 N. Walnut Street.
Tickets purchased online will be will be held at the “Will Call” desk at Candlelight Headquarters.
For more information visit http://www.historicjeffersonfoundation.com/Candlelight.html