Alto is located in Cherokee County at the junction of U.S. Highway 69, State highways 21 and 294, and Farm roads 752 and 1911, eleven miles south of Rusk. The settlement was founded around 1849 by Robert F. Mitchell under the name Branchtown and a local post office opened in 1850. In 1852 the town was renamed Alto, which means “high”, because of its location at the highest point between the Angelina and Neches rivers. The settlement quickly developed into a commercial center and stopping point for travelers along the El Camino Real. By 1885 the town had a population of 600. By 1929, Alto’s population peaked at 1,600.
Related to Alto, Texas:
El Camino Real