Avinger, Texas is located at the junction of State highways 49 and 155. The early settlement of Hickory Hill began in the early 1840s, about a mile south of present-day Avinger. By 1848, a post office was established, and in 1876, the East Line and Red River Railroad arrived in 1876. A train station was constructed at the site which would eventually become Avinger. Businesses began relocation closer to the station and in 1877, the post office was relocated near the station. The town became a shipping point for lumbermen and area farmers and by 1884, the town’s population was 50.