Beaumont, Texas was known as Tevis Bluff after an early settler until 1835, when Henry Millard and his partners bought the Tevis property. The site was renamed after Millard’s wife’s maiden name- Beaumont. Beaumont officially became a town on December 16, 1838. By the late 1800s, Beaumont was an important lumber and rice-milling town due to its strategic location on the Neches River. The port was highly active, and the city was perfectly positioned to capitalize on the lumber boom of the late 19th century. In 1901, the Lucas Gusher on Spindletop Hill erupted, spewing hundreds of feet into the air. The explosion was so mighty that nine days later the site was still gushing almost 200ft high, and producing approximately 100,000 barrels a day. With the explosion of the Lucas Husher came an explosion of population. From January 1901 to to March 1901, Beaumont’s population grew from 9,000 to 30,000. Spindletop became the first major oil field and the largest in American history, ushering in the Petroleum Age.