BIG SANDY, TEXAS

Big Sandy is located at the junction of State Highway 155, U.S. Highway 80, and Farm Road 2911 in Upshur County. Big Sandy was established in the early 1870s, and a post office was constructed in 1875. By 1885 the community had an estimated population of 500, a school, churches, stores and saloons, and by 1900, several hotels, restaurants, banks and a weekly newspaper had opened. In the early 1900s, Big Sandy became a regional cotton market.