Bullard, Texas is located twelve miles south of Tyler in extreme southern Smith County and northern Cherokee County. The area was originally occupied by Caddo Indians. Settlers arrived in the area around 1850, and in 1867, the Etna Post Office opened. In 1870, John and Emma Bullard arrived in the area, and in 1881, a new post office named Hewsville was opened in Bullard’s store. In 1883, the Etna Post Office closed and the Hewsville Post Office was renamed Bullard. In 1884, the Bullard railroad station was completed, and soon after the community became a shipping point for cotton, vegetables, and fruits. By 1914, Bullard’s population was around 400.