Carthage, Texas is located near the center of Panola County, and is the county seat. In 1848, 100 acres was donated for the town, and named in honor of Carthage, Mississippi. A post office was established in 1849 and the first courthouse was constructed from peeled pine logs. The log courthouse was used until 1853, when a brick structure was built. A third courthouse was built in Gothic style in 1885. In 1953, a brick courthouse was dedicated two blocks west of the old site on Carthage Square. The old courthouse was auctioned off and the square cleared for a public park in 1956.
The City of Carthage is known as the Gas Capital of the United States, and the world famous Texas Country Music Hall of Fame.