The 1861 Cass County Courthouse in Linden is known as the oldest continually used county courthouse in Texas. Originally, Jefferson was the county seat of Cass County, but when Linden was established in 1852, the seat was moved. (Jefferson would eventually become the seat of Marion County in 1860.)
The first courthouse was a two-story, wood frame structure built on the present-day site in 1853. Construction on the second courthouse began in 1859 and was completed in 1861. Cass County Chief Justice Charles Ames designed the courthouse similar to a Greek Revival brick courthouse in Harrison County complete with a cupola. Today the Cass County Courthouse is the only functioning antebellum courthouse in Texas.
In 1908, a tornado damaged the courthouse and destroyed the cupola. The courthouse was repaired and a Queen-Anne style cupola was added. In 1917, the Cass County Courthouse got a Classical Revival style makeover by architectural designer Stewart Moore and engineer Fred Halsey. After a fire in May 1933, repairs were made and the third story was extended over the courtroom.
Learn more about the Cass County Courthouse.