Center, Texas lis ocated 17 miles from the Louisiana border at the center of Shelby County. In 1856 or 1857, the townsite was donated by Margaret Wilson and Jessee Amason. In 1866, Center became the seat of Shelby County, despite a dispute that lasted several months. A post office was established the same year. In 1882, the courthouse burned. It was replaced by the J. J. E. Gibson’s “Irish Castle” (Romanesque Rivival) in 1885.