China, Texas is located approximately 10 miles west of Beaumont in northwestern Jefferson County. In 1860, the Texas and New Orleans Railroad was completed through the area, and a water stop was established in a grove of chinaberry trees near present-day China, dubbed China Grove. In 1887, a post office by that name was authorized, but closed two months later. In 1893, another post office was established named China. Agriculture was the main source of local livelihoods, specifically rice farming. The South China oilfield was discovered in 1939, and provided further growth.