CLEVELAND, TEXAS

Cleveland, Texas is located 40 miles northeast of Houston in northwestern Liberty County. The settlement began when the General Land Office offered land in the county in exchange for military service in 1836. The community did not form until 1878, when Charles Lander Cleveland deeded 63.6 acres of land to the Houston, East and West Texas Railway, with a request that a station be named after him. Cleveland became a shipping point for timber, lumber, and lumber byproducts in the 1870s.