Coldspring, Texas is the San Jacinto county seat, and is located miles north of Houston in central San Jacinto County. The community was named for the cold springwater found there. In 1847, the first post office, named Coonskin, was opened. Less than a year later, the office was renamed Fireman’s Hill, and then in 1850, the name was changed to Cold Spring, officially respelled Coldspring in 1894. In 1926, the Delta Land and Timber Company built a commissary at Coldspring, but the company’s sawmill was sold to the Kurth interests of Lufkin. A Civilian Conservation Corps camp for black youths operated at Coldspring from the early 1930s to 1937, which helped to ease the effects of the Great Depression. In 1945 the Cold Springs oilfield was discovered southeast of town.