Colmesneil, Texas is located nine miles north of Woodville in north central Tyler County. Colmesneil was named for one of the first conductors on the Texas and New Orleans Railroad through the area. In 1881, Jay Gould of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, secured a charter for the Trinity and Sabine. Gould built 66 miles of track from Trinity to Colmesneil, making the town a railroad center for Tyler County. By 1889, Colmesneil was shipping cotton and other products from Jasper, Newton, Sabine, San Augustine, and Angelina counties. By the 1880s, Colmesneil was larger than Beaumont. The first post office opened in 1882.