Cushing, Texas is located 18 miles northwest of Nacogdoches, and was founded in 1902. The community was named for Edward Benjamin Cushing, a railroad official. That same year a local post office opened. By 1904, a regular passenger service began, which spurred the development of the lumbering industry in the northwestern corner of the county. By 1925, Cushing’s population had climbed to 1,500, but during the 1930s, the town began to decline due to the Great Depression and deforestation of the surrounding area.