DAYTON, TEXAS

Dayton, Texas is located three miles west of Liberty in southwestern Liberty County. The community was established in 1831, and was first called West Liberty and was considered part of the original town of Liberty. The town was divided by the Trinity River, and connected by a road and a ferry. The West Liberty Post Office was discontinued after a few years, and in 1877, a new post office opened under the name Dayton, but the official name of the town remained West Liberty until the mid-1880s. In the 1920s, the oil industry gave the town a boost.

*Texas Governor Marion Price Daniel, Sr. was born in Dayton, Texas in 1910.