Elkhart, Texas is 11 miles south of Palestine in Anderson County. In 1851, members of Daniel Parker’s Pilgrim Community moved to land closer to the post office and newly established railroad. The town is believed to have been named after an Indian who befriended the settlers. A nearby natural spa served many socialites with its excellent mineral waters. The springs were about one mile Southeast of Elkhart, and records show that in 1889, a hotel was being built at the location and a health resort had been started. In 1912 the downtown area was destroyed by fire. Jay Gould’s International – Great Northern Railroad slumped during the Great Depression.