Gladewater, Texas is 13 miles west of Longview on the boundary between Gregg and Upshur counties. Gladewater was founded by the Texas and Pacific Railway Company in 1873, and the same year a post office was established. The town takes its name from a stream that rose in a rather barren region called Glade Creek.On April 7, 1931, the first Gladewater oil well blew in about a mile from town. Being near the center of the 1930s oil boom in East Texas, Gladewater didn’t feel the effects of the depression, but the slump of the 1980s had a deep impact on the town. Buildings remained empty for several years until the town was transformed into the Antique Capital of East Texas.