Grapeland, Texas is located 12 miles north of Crockett in northern Houston County. In 1872, the Houston and Great Northern Railroad signed over a 640-acre tract of land to the New York and Texas Land Company to be developed as a townsite. Originally named Grapevine, due to all of the grape vines that had to be removed when tracks were laid through the area’s sandy soil, when the town applied for a post office they were told a town by the name Grapevine already existed in North Texas. The name was quickly changed to Grapeland and the application was re-submitted. The town soon became an important shipping point for cotton. By 1910, the population had grown to over 400. In 1913, a fire ripped through the downtown area claiming at least 15 structures, but rebuilt with brick almost immediately. Cotton, lumber and ranching were the mainstays of the local economy, and by the 1920s, Grapeland’s population had soared to 1,200. When cotton declined, peanuts became the new cash crop. Then oil and gas was discovered in the 1930s, helping the town through the days of the Great Depression.
Known to locals as the “Queen City of the Sand Flats,” Grapeland is home to the annual Peanut Festival.