Groveton, Texas is located at the intersection of State Highway 94 and U.S. Highway 287, and is the county seat of Trinity County. In 1881, the Trinity County and Sabine Pass Land and Railway Company built a lumber mill on the south side of its newly laid track, and established a townsite on the north side. Originally named Grovetown for a nearby stand of blackjack trees between the mill and the town, the name was quickly shortened to Groveton. In 1882, a post office was granted and the town was named the county seat. The courthouse had been previously located in the Pennington community, but had recently burned. In 1884, a brick courthouse was built on land donated by the Trinity Lumber Company. The mill was the only source of work in the town, but the mill and the town operated as two separate towns, Groveton and Milltown, complete with two mayors. In 1919, the two communities combined. In the early 1900s, as timber began to run out lawlessness took over the area. The last mill in the area closed in 1930, with a two-hour mill whistle blast signaling the end of prosperity. Between 1928 and 1931, Groveton lost 1/3 of its population, down from 4,000 to 1,046. In the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps began reforestation in the area. By the 1950s, the population had dropped to 799. By the early 1960s, population had climbed to over 1,100, and by the 1980s, Groveton was once again a lumbering center and had become a gateway to the recreation areas of the Davy Crockett National Forest.