Hemphill, Texas, Sabine County Seat, is located thirty miles southeast of Nacogdoches. Originally, Sabine County Seat was located in Milam, but voters in 1858 approved a resolution to move the county seat to a more central site. The town received a post office in 1859, and the town was named for John Hemphill. During the 1800s, the main transportation route was the Sabine River. The Gulf, Beaumont and Great Northern Railway was constructed in 1902, but the line was abandoned by 1938, and shortly after lumber operations in the area dried up.