Henderson County was established in 1846. The current courthouse is the county’s fourth courthouse and the second in Athens. The first one was built in 1850 in Buffalo and the second, two-story frame courthouse, was built in 1861 in Centerville. The third courthouse, a log cabin style, was built in Athens in 1887 and served as the court building for 11 years.
In 1913 C.H. Hawn & Co. began construction on the county’s next courthouse. Completed in January 1914, the red-bricked Henderson County Courthouse exhibits a Classical Revival design.The building is comprised of three floors above a full basement, and features a central dome and four three-bay pedimented entries with Tuscan columns.Original detailing includes marble stairways and wainscoting on the interior. The building’s angled wings set it apart, and it also has a central cupola.