The Henderson County Historical Museum in Athens is housed in the historic Faulk-Gauntt Building. First built in 1896 as a grocery store, the first floor resembles the turn-of-the-century dry goods store while the second floor is a recreation of an early law office, parlor, bedroom, bath, kitchen, and schoolroom.
In the early 1890s, the site was purchased by J.R. Gauntt, a local businessman. He operated a mercantile store, the Chany Tree, with his brother, R.L. Gauntt, and later ran a monument business. In 1896 he commissioned the Hawn Lumber Company to build this two-story brick commercial structure near the rail lines.
The upstairs area was first occupied by attorneys W.L. and J.J. Faulk.William Levin Faulk served as Henderson County Judge, district clerk and director of the Guaranty State Bank of Athens, and his cousin James J. Faulk served as county attorney, state representative, district attorney, state senator, special justice of the Texas Court of Civil Appeals, and the first mayor of the City of Athens. The downstairs area first housed the grocery store of Tom Barber.
Located within proximity to the St. Louis and Southwestern railroad, the Texas Historic Landmark building is one of few surviving structures from Athen’s railroad era.
Frida-Saturday 10 AM – 3 PM