JACKSONVILLE, TEXAS

Jacksonville TomatoesJacksonville, Texas is located in northeastern Cherokee County. In 1847, Jackson Smith built a house and a blacksmith shop in the Gum Creek area, and a post office was authorized in 1848. In 1850, Dr. William Jackson built an office near Jackson Smith’s shop, setting the tone for the newly formed townsite to be named Jacksonville. The International-Great Northern Railroad was built through Cherokee County in 1872, but missed Jacksonville by a few miles. Citizens of Jacksonville worked out an agreement with railroad to survey a new townsite on the railroad. In the fall of 1872 most of the original Jacksonville was moved two miles east to the new site on the tracks. Agriculture was the main focus of the local economy. Jacksonville was a leading center of peach production from the 1880s to 1914, later tomatoes became the primary crop, and Jacksonville became known as the “tomato capitol of the world.”

WHERE TO EAT