Jasper, Texas is located in north central Jasper County, and is the county seat. The site was settled around 1824, and occupied by at least 30 families as early as 1830. During that time the site was known as Snow River or Bevil’s Settlement, after founder John Bevil. In 1835 it was renamed for William Jasper, a hero of the American Revolution. In 1844, Jasper was named county seat by an act of the Texas Congress, and a post office was established in 1846. In the early in the twentieth century, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railways arrived, making Jacksonville a center for the manufacture of timber products.