Latexo, Texas is located about five miles north of Crockett in Houston County. The town was established in 1872, when the International and Great Northern Railroad was constructed through the area. Around 1900, the Louisiana Texas Orchard Company purchased 3,000 acres surrounding the settlement for for a town. The town takes its name Latexo from an acronym of the company’s name. In 1907, a post office was established, and by 1914 the town had a lumberyard, and a sawmill. Most area farmers made their living from fruit, cotton, and lumber. In 1915, Latexo became the first Houston County school to offer courses in agriculture. After World War II, many area residents moved away and population dwindled.