Liberty Hill Community
Houston County- Among the earliest settlers in this area of Houston County were George W. Wilson and his family who came here from Kentucky in 1835. Other early pioneers were John W. Bodenhamer, James and William McLean and William W. Davis. Although a town site was never platted and a post office was never established, Liberty Hill developed into a rural community.
In the late 1880s area settlers organized a school, which was also used for worship services, east of the present church building. The old schoolhouse bell remains in use. Both Baptist and Methodist congregations were organized, and several general stores were in operation at various times. Liberty Hill School was closed in the 1930s. Area children attended classes in Glover and were later transferred to Grapeland.
Following the end of World War II, the Community’s population began to decline as people moved from rural areas to cities. The first of what would become an annual homecoming celebration was held in June of 1946. A community center, erected in the 1960s, continues to serve the people of the Liberty Hill area.
Directions: 12 miles east of Grapeland on FM 227, then 1.5 miles north on FM 3016, then right on CR 1597 .5 mile