Lindale, Texas is located about 10 miles north of Tyler in northwestern Smith County. Settled as early as 1873, the Lyndale post office was established. The following year the spelling was changed to Lindale. In 1875, the settlement became a station on the new International-Great Northern Railroad. By 1884, residents had begun shipping cotton and fruit, and businesses began to grow. In 1892, seven flour mills ad the East Texas Canning Factory were constructed. In 1895, the J. S. Ogburn and Company Canning Factory was established. By 1921, the Jim Hogg Highway was constructed from Tyler to Lindale. During the Great Depression the area was sustained by the presence of nearby Civilian Conservation Corp Camp 896, and the Duck Creek Project, which searched for ways to prevent soil erosion.