LINDEN, TEXAS

Linden, Texas, the county seat of Cass County, is located about 12 miles southwest of Atlanta in the south central portion of the county. The town was established in 1852 after a redivision of territory had given the old county seat, Jefferson, to Marion County. A post office was opened the same year and the town was named for a resident’s former home in Tennessee. Lumber and syrup mills were some of the first businesses in the area. The trees in the area were in great demand for building new towns in the Red River valley. The lumber boom reached its peak around 1890. During the Great Depression forced many businesses to close, but after World War II the community rebounded and grew slowly.