Lufkin, Texas, the county seat of Angelina County, and is located approximately 20 miles. Founded in 1882, as a stop on the Houston, East and West Texas Railway and named for Capt. Abraham P. Lufkin, a Galveston cotton merchant and city councilman. The city was granted a post office that same year. Lufkin’s proximity to the railroad and its extensive lumber industry promoted growth in the area from 1882 until 1920. By the 1930s, Lufkin’s industrial expansion produced thousands of new jobs, creating more growth.