Magnolia, Texas is located approximately 28 miles southwest of Conroe in southwestern Montgomery County. The area was first settled in the late 1840s and named Mink’s Prairie, but the name was shortened to Mink by 1850. In 1885, a post office was established and by 1900, the town only had a population of 25. In 1902, the town relocated to be closer to the new line constructed by the International-Great Northern Railroad. The new townsite was named Melton, after a local landowner, but some confusion with the post office dubbed the town Milton. A year later the town was renamed Magnolia for the magnolia trees in the bottoms of adjacent Mill Creek.