Marshall, Texas is located 39 miles west of Shreveport, Louisiana, in central Harrison County. Harrison County was created, and in 1842, Marshall was founded and named in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall, and became the county seat. Marshall was the first town in Texas to have a telegraph, and by 1854, the local paper had a telegraph link to New Orleans, giving the city quick access to national news. By 1860, Marshall had become a large, wealthy East Texas town. Marshall voted unanimously for secession in 1861, and the Confederate government of Missouri located its capitol there during the Civil War. When Vicksburg fell, the Confederacy split, and in in 1863, the town became a center of operations for Gen. Edmund Kirby Smith’s Trans-Mississippi Department. During the spring of 1865,the army of the Trans-Mississippi Department disintegrated, and Marshall was then occupied by United States troops. After the Civil War, Reconstruction was extremely controversial due to occupying forces and the new Freedmen’s Bureau was established. Marshall was fortunate to have a railroad, which brought commercial and industrial development. In the 1870s, the county offered Texas and Pacific a $300,000 bond subsidy to locate its shops and general offices for Texas in Marshall, and T&P accepted. Marshall received an immediate economic boost. The county’s cotton economy declined after 1930, and Marshall became an important retail and industrial center.