Mineola, Texas is located 80 miles east of Dallas in southwestern Wood County. Prior to 1873 the site was known as Sodom. Mineola came into existence when the railroads built lines through the area in 1873, and a post office opened in 1875. Transportation continued to affect Mineola as U.S. Highway 80 was built through the town. The railroad continued to be vital to the community until they declined in the 1950s.