Mount Pleasant, Texas, county seat of Titus County, is located sixty-one miles southwest of Texarkana. Mount Pleasant was designated the county seat when Titus County was formed in 1846, and the site received a post office the following year. Mount Pleasant remained small until the Texas and St. Louis Railway was completed in the early 1880s. By 1885, population had increased to 800. Beginning in the early 1900s, mineral-rich springs drew in health-seeking tourists, and by the 1920s, Mount Pleasant had 4,000 residents. The town also serves as a retail center not only for Titus, but adjoining Franklin, Camp, and Morris counties.