ELKHART- Starr Cemetery is located atop Starr Hill just north of Elkhart, in Anderson County. The cemetery is the final resting place of the descendants of John Starr (1797 – 1872), Texas pioneer.
John Starr was born in Rowan County, North Carolina, Aug. 29, 1797. He married Susannah Parker, sister of Pilgrim Church organizer Daniel Parker.
In 1848, the Starr couple left their home in Illinois. They arrived in the vicinity of Tanyard Creek on Christmas Eve that winter during an ice storm. Starr had ventured south seeking a warmer climate for his health.
Starr acquired a homestead north of Tanyard Creek near present day Elkhart. The Prewitt Tanyard and post-office were located south of the creek. Later, Starr bought what now is known as Starr Hill south of the creek toward Elkhart. The Starr family cemetery and the large two-story house John Starr built in 1856 are located there.
Starr died November 18, 1872. He was the first person to be buried in the cemetery
|Texas State Historical Marker: “First person buried here, Starr lies beside wife Susannah. Interred nearby are 6 of their 8 children; 2 of the sons here served in the Confederate Army, Civil War. Ancestral home is on nearby Starr Hill. (1969)”|